Did You Know?
- Measures thickness, density and curvature of finger's surface
- Widespread use by law enforcement
- Commonly used in border management
How does it work?
- A fingerprint maps the ridgelines in the skin of one's fingertips
- Individuality is based on location and direction of the ridge ending points AND
- Splits along a ridge path
Late 1800sSir Francis Galton identified how fingerprint characteristics are individualized.
1903In a short story, Sherlock Holmes found a fingerprint.
1969Major push from the FBI to develop fingerprint identification system.
1975FBI developed automated fingerprint scanners.
Late 1990sEmergence of commercial fingerprint verification products.
2006Fingerprint readers added to many laptops.
2013iPhone 5S released with Touch ID.